Thursday, April 3, 2008

About the owner of this blog

I understand some of you may be a little wary of contacting me with your stories, perfectly understandable considering what has happened with the Faces of Pro Ana site. So I thought in order to put you a little bit more at ease I would let you know a little bit about myself, how I came across the original Faces of Pro Ana site and why I started this blog.

My name is Louise Shaw (that is a Pseudonym, I have told my real first name to some of you but would appreciate you not mentioning it on here please). I have another blog which details my battle with chronic Anorexia Nervosa.

That blog can be found at www.livingwithchronicanorexia.blogspot.com

I found out about the Faces of Pro Ana site when a link to it was posted on an Eating Disorders support board that I visit occasionally. Many of the members of that board were appalled at what was happening with that site, myself included. Looking at the Faces of Pro Ana site I recognised someone I know from the online Eating Disorders support community, someone who I know for a fact is not Pro Ana and who would be absolutely devastated to be associated with such a thing. I very respectfully contacted the owners of the Faces of Pro Ana site to ask that they remove this girls picture. That request was met with complete silence, as many of the other girls requests have been as well.

I decided that if the owners of the Faces of Pro Ana blog weren't prepared to do the right thing and remove the pictures of those girls they had falsely accused then the least I could do was to provide these girls with an opportunity to tell their side of the story. Hence this blog was created.

I have not published the story or the picture of the girl I know who has been wrongly featured on the Faces of Pro Ana site, nor will I unless I have her express permission. She is currently unaware of her being featured on the Faces of Pro Ana site and I must admit I am reluctant to tell her. I know how upset it will make her and considering she is battling an Eating Disorder along with other emotional health issues, as well as having a partner who is currently serving in Iraq, she has enough on her plate already. I will also not publish anyone's story or picture on here without their express permission and for those of you who have asked for your story to be published if there is any time that you no longer wish to be part of this blog please let me know and I will remove the entry immediately. If you see your picture and story published on here and it wasn't you who actually contacted me and you also do not wish to be included please contact me as well and I will remove it immediately.

Kindest Regards

Louise Shaw

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much love to you and thanks again for giving me (and everyone else) a chance to tell our side of things. I can't tell you how much better this makes me feel, and I'm sure the other girls will agree. I hope that the creation of this blog helps to avert some potential serious problems that the original F.O.P.A. may cause/have caused to some individuals whose pictures were posted.

A suggestion: Maybe you can put a link list on the side of the blog with the links to the girls' own blogs (if they wish to share them) so anyone passing by this website who wishes to learn more about each girl can do so. If you don't know how to create that on Blogger I can help you out. :^) Keep up the amazing work.

Unknown said...

This is awesome and I love this blog.
I was wondering if I could share my story?
my email is ccarn9@gmail.com