Thursday, April 3, 2008

Jill's Story

My name is Jill. I am 22 years old.

I love to read, write, and spend time with my friends. I have a chameleon and three dogs. I'm a University student, majoring in psychology. I look like I have it all together, but I don't. Because for the past 14 years, my health has been failing.

I have an eating disorder.

I purged for the first time at age 7, long before I could be deeply indoctrinated with the "Thin is In" mentality of the modern media. I had arbitrarily decided that there was something wrong with me, that I was in some sort of danger of losing control, and in a haze found myself leaning over the creek in the forest across the road after dinner one night. Even before this, my memories of childhood are dominated by food; pancakes on Saturday mornings, caramel corn during a thunderstorm, flashlight casting shadows on the ceiling. Sandwiches eaten in a precise number of bites. I do not remember a time in my life, even prior to my obvious turn to eating disordered behaviour, that I was not obsessed with food.

The purging continued as I grew older. I, constantly plagued with dizzy spells and sore throats, began also to binge-eat in addition to purging. I would often spend my entire allowance, birthday money, Christmas money, or cash that I begged from my mother, on food. I would stash food under the couch in my upstairs playroom, and then binge alone in the dark. As I entered my teenage years, I began to gain weight. My neurotic attitudes about food shifted; I became terrified of becoming fat, believing that my weight gain was a red flag to the world that I was weak and undisciplined.

I began cycling through periods of self-starvation and periods of frenzied binge-eating and purging. I abused diet pills and caffeine, even ate raw chicken at one point in an attempt to give myself food poisoning, so desperate was I to drop weight. By age 16 I was losing weight steadily; by age 17 I was surviving on roughly 600 calories a day and weighed 89 lbs- 40 lbs underweight on my 5'4 frame.

I was referred to treatment at this point, but left after two months. I wanted desperately to recover, but was terrified of changing the only thing that had been constant in my life for so long. For the next four years, I battled constantly with my eating disorder, my weight climbing as I binged, and dropping as I starved. I became addicted to ephedrine, spent several hundred dollars on food which I would eat in the silence of my parents' house as they slept, leaving the kitchen only to purge away my paychecks.

A few months ago, I found Cerulean Butterfly, an eating disorders support forum. I was instantly welcomed by the existing members, who were never anything but kind, supportive, and concerned for my well being. I had a place- which was protected, mind you, members only- in which I could talk freely about my eating disorder without being judged. I had briefly been a member of a few recovery forums, but found that since I was not currently active in recovery, I was not entirely comfortable with the atmosphere and had to be very careful with the things I could say, lest I trigger someone in the early stages of their own recovery.

During my time at Cerulean Butterfly, I have tried mostly to offer support and helpful advice to my fellow members, including warnings about the dangers of diet pills, alternatives to high-calorie binges, and support for those who are beginning therapy. Never once have I encouraged any member to pursue dangerous behaviour, to lose weight, to purge, or to hide their disorder from a doctor or family member. I am not pro-ana; An eating disorder is an illness, not a choice. I may not be in recovery at the moment, but I have NEVER taken part in any behaviour that would cause harm to anyone else. I am every bit as opposed to the pro-ana movement as the authors of the Faces of Pro-Ana page, with one exception: I know the difference between pro-ana and eating disordered.

In my own blog, along with the details of my daily struggles, I constantly reiterate the fact that at age 22 I have arthritis, heart problems, decreased bone density, hair loss, anemia, and a host of other problems as a direct result of my eating disorder. I may not have children. I may DIE by age 45. I am very honest about the future that is staring me in the face. For my picture to be plastered across a webpage that proclaims that I am one of the hundreds of so-called "Faces of Pro Ana" is deeply insulting. The only thing I have ever used my experience for is to warn others. There is no glamour here. And judge not, lest ye be judged.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You seem like a very brave and honest woman. I hope that the other blog did not cause you too much unnecessary stess, at is clear from what you say that your life has been very hard and you do not need any more hardship. I hope you manage to make a recovery one day and that your life will be better than it is now. Stay strong, you are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Stay strong an dont let small-minded ignorant people get to you. You are better than them.

Anonymous said...

Thank you both very much, I appreciate your kind words :)

I do currently see a clinical psychologist and my health is being monitored, though I still am very deep in my eating disorder.

Anonymous said...

CB is now closed down